Being a buy to let property owner you have responsibilities for the properties you let, including:


Taking out the correct buildings insurance is also important, so you can be sure your property is protected in case something should happen, such as a fire. We offer landlords a range of insurance products so you can feel confident you will be covered in an emergency.

You will also be required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property, which allows tenants to see results from heating, water, insulation, construction and energy efficiency tests. If you don't have an EPC available for prospective tenants to view you could risk a fine. The only exception is houses in multiple occupation (HMO). These are exempt from the EPC rules as they typically have to abide by stricter regulations.

To ensure the health and safety of your tenants, you need to get your hands on a Gas Safety Certificate. By making sure your boiler, electricity and furniture are checked and meet regulations, you will be confident that your renters will be safe in the home.Gas safety check of all gas appliances carried out each year. This must be done Gas Safe registered engineer. You may need to install smoke detectors is also important, as is fitting fire doors, a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket.

You should let your property using an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). Legally, all new tenancies are automatically Assured Shorthold Tenancy. An Assured Shorthold Tenancy lasts after six months, as long as any initial fixed term has passed and you give your tenants two months' notice. Most mortgage lenders will require you to have this type of tenancy.

When you have found a tenant to move into the property, you will have to put their down payment into the government-approved tenancy deposit scheme. This will protect the renter's money in the future, you must protect it using one of three government-approved deposit schemes:

If you don't protect the tenant's deposit, you may also be fined of three times the deposit.

Repairs to the structure and exterior of the property you let to make the home fit for habitation, you should set-aside money you have left over after paying your landlord mortgage to make sure the home is well-maintained.  This will include the maintenance of heating and water systems and bathroom installations

One of the first things you need to do is check whether you will require a Houses in Multiple Occupation Licence. You need a special licence from the local council if the property is three or more stories high and houses five or more people from two or more households - a certificate that is obligatory if your property is being let out to a number of renters who share communal areas, such as the kitchen and bathroom.

Complete this quick easy form,
get a great mortgage quote !
Service and Data Privacy provided by SecureRights
Mortgage Details
Mortgage type required  
Property description
Property style
Property purpose
Estimated value of property £
Amount to borrow £
Do you need to self-certify your income?  
Do you have any other debt (eg. Credit Card Debt)?  
What is your employment status?  
Do you have a CCJ?  
Do you have an IVA?  
Have you declared bankruptcy?  
How soon would you like to apply for a mortgage?  
Personal Details
First name  
Date of birth  
Primary phone  
Secondary phone  
Best time to call  
Address 1  
Address 2  
Post Code  
   By pressing submit you agree to be contacted by telephone by an FSA Authorised Mortgage
   Advisor and confirm that you have read and agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Note: SecureRights is responsible for the collection and transfer of information on this page for the purpose of completing your request. By submitting your request you agree to be contacted in accordance with SecureRights Privacy Policy.